When planning summer getaways, vacationers often expect to explore the tourist attractions and maybe take in some of the hidden secrets of their destinations. Why then, do we rarely think about seeking and exploring the hidden treasures in our own hometowns?
Pallottine Renewal Center, a retreat and conference center in North County, has an opportunity to help locals do just that this summer. Pallottine, along with numerous businesses in North County, presents a Staycation weekend July 21-23 that includes guided tours of some local landmarks rich in history as well as restaurants that make North County unique.
Howard Nimmons was the first to sign up for the fun-filled weekend after he heard Pallottine Executive Director Marillyn Webb give a presentation of the Staycation’s offerings at a Rotary Club of Florissant meeting. Nimmons, who has attended other events at Pallottine in the past, also is bringing his wife and mother to the weekend retreat.
“It seemed like a good way to see the area from a different perspective,” Nimmons said. “We get to spend the weekend exploring places that I’m aware of but haven’t really paid attention to. This is a more organized event with guided tours. It’s a chance to see what we have in our own backyard. I’m always interested in finding new tidbits and I’m interested in history. This also includes going to some nice restaurants and museums.”
Nimmons said that just like tourists commit a few days to exploring other cities around the country, he said the Pallottine Staycation is a unique way to spend a weekend close to home.
“We’re committing a weekend to do this,” Nimmons said. “Often when people plan to attend something, we do just one thing. This is an entire weekend to see several different places. The fun part is that it is a nice program spread over an entire weekend, and it will be fun being able to share the stories and have the interaction with the other people.
“Many times, we all commit weekends to exploring other cities around the country. Why not commit to exploring our own city? We tend to ignore the things we have in our area. The Staycation also is one more opportunity for us to be educated and then go back to other people and talk intelligently about the treasures we have to offer in our community, to entice people to visit.”
This year’s Staycation is scheduled for the weekend of July 21-23. The all-inclusive package is $235 per person and features overnight accommodations and hospitality, meals, transportation, tours, museum, and entertainment.
So register today and pack your bags for a fun-filled summer getaway filled with inspiration and relaxation right here in your own backyard.
The full schedule is as follows:
Friday, July 21
- Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. at Pallottine Renewal Center with coffee and light refreshments.
- Introduction and history of Pallottine presented by Sister Gail Borgmeyer, Provincial of the Pallottine Sisters.
- Tour of Cold Water Cemetery conveniently located on the Pallottine property, with historical presentation by Daughters of the American Revolution.
- Lunch at Pallottine
- Chartered bus tour to Daniel Bissell House Tour and Bellefontaine.
- Dinner trip to Ferguson Brewery and Cork Wine Bar or Vincenzo’s Italian Restaurant.
- Open evening at Pallottine Renewal Center for relaxation, exploring the 80-plus acres or hanging by the indoor pool or outdoor patio.
- Historical video of Pallottine Missionary Sisters will be presented as an optional activity.
Saturday, July 22
- Chartered Bus Tour to Taille De Noyer House and Ferdinand Shrine.
- “A Taste of North County” luncheon featuring Catering to You, Krause Katering and Kakes, Pirrone’s Pizzeria, Cannoli’s Restaurant, and Hendel’s Restaurant.
- Chartered bus to Sacred Heart Museum and Columbia Bottom Conservation Area as well as the Earth Dance Farm.
- Dinner at Pallottine Renewal Center
- Evening concert at Pallottine featuring local band the MO Bottom Project, which will perform songs written about the local landmarks. This includes a reception beginning at 7 p.m.
Sunday, July 23
- Breakfast and Mass in the beautiful Pallottine Chapel.
Time is running out to register so spread the word and please visit www.pallottinerenewal.org/staycation-summer-2017 for all the details.
For more information, please contact Marillyn Webb at (314) 837-7100 or email@example.com.
Pallottine Renewal Center is conveniently located at 15270 Old Halls Ferry Road, Florissant, MO 63034.
Pallottine also offers a Summer Speakers Series. Make this summer a time to refresh your spirit, reflect with God and renew your faith at Pallottine Renewal Center. Enjoy our excellent hospitality, delicious food and beautiful grounds while hearing informative and inspiring speakers.